Ditch the Dirty

Posted by Jenna Rammell on

You hear buzzwords about “green living,” but do you know how to actually achieve this?! I’m telling you now, there’s no possible way to be perfect! But, it’s not an all or nothing kind of thing. There are very simple swaps + ways to lower the toxins in your home. 

If you didn’t see, air quality totally matters, these two topics go hand in hand. See how you can improve your air quality here.

Essential oil all purpose cleaner

We have this idea that the only way to kill bacteria + disinfect anything is with a harsh, chemical smell. This, my friends, is MARKETING + simply not true. It’s terribly dangerous to breathe + touch, especially our children. We are the gatekeepers to our home!

If you’re already convinced, checkout green living cleaners here + make the switch today!

Essential oils for cleaning your home

Here are 3 ways to lower the toxins in your home:

Ditch Fragrance

Many fragranced household products, such as air fresheners, dish soap, even toilet paper. Because of proprietary laws, companies don’t have to disclose what’s in their scents, so you won’t find phthalates on a label. If you see the word “fragrance” on a label, there’s a good chance phthalates are present. This is a known endocrine disruptor–  this is harmful to breathe in + touch. 

Get a New All-Purpose Cleaner

There are numerous “all-purpose” cleaning products on the market. These products usually contain detergents, grease-cutting agents, solvents + disinfectants. The specific chemicals in these ingredients include ammonia, ethylene glycol monobutyl acetate, sodium hypochlorite and/or trisodium phosphate. (I can’t even pronounce those names!) Depending on the ingredients used, all-purpose cleaners can irritate the skin, eyes, nose and throat. They can be highly poisonous to both humans and animals if swallowed. 

Swap Toilet bowl cleaners + Oven cleaners. 

Toilet cleaners contain the chemicals sodium hypochlorite or hydrochloric acid, or bleach. Most disinfectant cleaners are very irritating to your eyes and skin and will burn your throat.

The basic ingredient in oven cleaners is lye (consisting of either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide). Lye is extremely corrosive and can burn your skin and eyes. It can cause severe tissue damage and may be fatal if swallowed.

None of this is meant to scare you, my intention is to educate you on what items + ingredients can be very harmful to you + your children. We are all trying our best, I’d love to help you in anyway that I can!

← Older Post